The importance of relaxed mind
1) If you are not mentally relaxed, you cannot concentrate on anything. If you cannot concentrate on anything, you cannot learn anything, and you cannot carry out any work properly and effectively. If this happens, you cannot succeed and make any progress in anything.
2) If you are not mentally relaxed, you cannot live happily, healthily, peacefully and successfully.
3) If you are not mentally relaxed, things go wrong with you.
4) If you are not mentally relaxed, your health, wealth, profession, education, family, etc. may suffer a lot.
5) If you are not mentally relaxed, your efficiency and productivity decrease, and thus your value decrease.
Therefore, one must always be mentally relaxed if one wants to live peacefully, happily, healthily, prosperously and successfully.
The Causes of Mental Disturbances
To have a relaxed mind, we must stay away from all sorts of mental disturbances. And to stay away from mental disturbances, we must know the causes of mental disturbances, so that we may avoid them and can stay mentally relaxed, inshaa Allaah. There are many causes of mental disturbances. The following are the some of them:
1) Conflicts cause mental disturbance. So avoid conflicts as much as possible. Never conflict with anyone, particularly, on silly and unnecessary matters.
2) Our circumstances on which we cannot have control cause mental disturbance. Don’t bother about the things on which you cannot have control, be realistic and practical, accept the facts and realities of life, accept your limitations and shortcomings. Instead of getting upset, think what you can do to overcome them, bi-iznillaah. Look forward and go ahead.
3) Unsuitable environment also causes mental disturbance. When our environment does not conform to our disposition, it causes mental disturbance. Here, instead of getting mentally disturbed, if we analyze both our environment and our disposition, and see which of them has to be corrected, we can get rid of this kind of mental disturbance by correcting either of them or by making adjustments between each other, inshaa Allaah.
4) The needs and demands of life that we cannot meet cause mental disturbance. Here, we must realize that getting mentally disturbed is not the solution to the problem. So instead of getting mentally disturbed, we should, with relaxed mind, think of how to meet the needs and demands. If we do this, our creative mind supplies the ideas. Select the best one of them and act upon it. Another way to avoid this kind of mental disturbance is that we should minimize our needs and demands.
5) Our negative and destructive mental attitude causes mental disturbance unnecessarily. To get rid of this kind of mental disturbance, we shall have to correct our mental attitude and adopt the positive, constructive and productive mental attitude.
6) Our destructive emotions cause mental disturbance. To avoid this type of mental disturbance, you should not entertain destructive emotions whenever they approach you. You should discourage them. When you do this each time destructive emotions approach you, destructive emotions will stop visiting you frequently, inshaa Allaah. Remember that if you entertain them, they will approach you frequently and you may suffer a lot from them, inshaa Allaah.
7) Negative and destructive thoughts cause mental disturbance. To avoid this type of mental disturbance, you should discourage and remove all the negative and destructive thoughts from your mind, and you should keep feeding positive, constructive and productive thoughts into your mind.
8) Scarcity of resources and opportunities, deficiency of assets and prowess, etc. cause mental disturbance. Instead of getting mentally disturbed, if we find the ways to fill the scarcities and the deficiencies, it may solve the problem.
9) Dilemmas cause mental disturbance. We can get rid of this kind of mental disturbance by analyzing and evaluating them, and by selecting the right course of action, inshaa Allaah.
10) When things go wrong with us, we get mentally disturbed. Here, find the cause why things go or went wrong with you, and find the right solution to the problem.
There are many other things that cause mental disturbances. The solution to all mental disturbances is only one, i.e. be mentally relaxed and find the best way to solve the problem. We must know that a disturbed mind is of no use. It disturbs our life and causes losses, failures and harms. So it is necessary to study the causes of mental disturbances, and their solutions, so that the losses, failures and harms may be avoided.
Some More Tips to Relax Your Mind
Whenever anger, frustration, depression, tension, problems, etc. disturb or upset your mind, your mind needs to be relaxed, so that it may work normally and you may retain peace of mind. Take the following steps to relax your mind at the time of anger, frustration, depression, tension, problems, etc.:
1) The first step that you must take to relax your mind is that you will have to determine firmly that you will not, at any cost, let your mind be disturbed or upset by the negative and destructive circumstances, behavior, environment, thoughts, emotions, and words of your own and others, inshaa Allaah.
2) The second step that you must take to relax your mind is that you will have to address your self calmly and slowly with the following words:
a) “I must behave like a matured person and must be mentally relaxed in all situations.”
b) “Getting mentally upset is not at all the solution of any problem.”
c) “I can work well and solve any problem, bi-iznillaah, only if I stay mentally relaxed.”
d) “So I must be mentally relaxed at any cost.”
e) “So relax… relax… relax (take your name), relax…”
f) “Don’t let your emotions govern you, or else they can destroy you, bi-iznillaah. They are under the control of your will, Bi-iznillaah. Curb them.”
g) “Be relaxed, be calm, and search for the right solution.”
Address yourself with these words frequently and confidently until you are mentally relaxed. If you practice this every time destructive emotions that cause mental disturbances approach you, inshaa Allaah, you will notice, after some days, that the destructive emotions have been suppressed, and they have stopped approaching you frequently. Make it your habit to be mentally relaxed in all undesired situations.
There are many other ways to relax your mind such as you can have a bath with cold water, you can have a glass of cold water. Just search for the most suitable way to relax your mind, and apply it. You can easily be mentally relaxed, inshaa Allaah.